And I’ve got a daughter who is crafty…so I wondered if some of these kits might be a good fit. Jennifer was gracious enough to send me home with a few.
Since we’ve been deluged with snow days lately, it was the perfect time to crack open and kit and get my daughter going. She chose this cute kitten stuffie.
Our first task was to cut out the pre-printed pieces. The cotton was a nice quality and the patter looks like it’s pieced, without the work. The colors were pretty and vivid, too.
Next, I showed my daughter how to do match up the pattern pieces and do running stitch. She was pretty content to sit with her headphones on and stitch away.
However…. she IS ten. She got frustrated with tangling the needle, and many of her stitches were just too wide to even keep the pieces together. I had to urge her to pull out stitches and start again. This let to some stomping, eye-rolling and general attitude.
But you know what? This was GOOD for her! In this day and age things are *so* easy, offer such immediate gratification, that we need to teach children mindfully that not all things come easily and it’s worth the effort to build skills and workmanship.
And you know what? She finished it. It’s far from perfect, but she finished it and was proud.
For this reason alone, I highly encourage anyone to try these kits out. The are so cute that kids want to start them, and with some encouragement and support can be finished in an afternoon. And those kids might even grow an little in the process, too.
Now, you know what’s nice? When you get a discount! Jennifer has offered my readers a 10% off discount with the code Craft10 – good through 3/31/15. Click over to her shop to see what crafty kits are in store for the kids in your world!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018