I’ve got a crafty household, and my kids like crafting, too- especially my 5-year-old daughter, who put Bendaroos at the top of her Christmas list. I wasn’t so sure this would be a successfulÂ product for a pre-Kindergartner, but as it turns out, the are AWESOME. Let’s discuss, shall we?
Despite my hesitancy, we got these for my then 4-year-old. I got them from a national drugstore chain- I can’t remember which one- but the kit included the multi-colored Bendaroos & some project sheets.
For those who are uninitiated, Bendaroos (and Wikki Stix, too, for that matter)Â can best be described as wax-covered yarn. They don’t dry out, don’t have an adhesive, and stay pliable and soft. You’re biggest risk is getting pet hair and dust bunnies on them- make sure you’ve got some zip-lock plastic bags ready!
So, in our house there are some “guided” crafting experiences- i.e., Mommy sets things up for you and we craft together,Â and then there are the “Ok, Mommy’s-got-to-get-this-article-written-so-you’re-on-your-own” types of crafts. Bendaroos have been my go-to for THOSE kinds of days.
And, that, being said, my girl has gleefully pulled out the project cards, some scissors, and made the following things all on her own:
I love the fact that she started with the 2-D projects- some using the project cards, some of her own design (you should have seen the “rainbow” on her bedroom door and how she spelled her name) and is now branching out into sculptures!
Yes, there is a little “mess” factor- but so far she’s stuck the Bendaroos to her wood door and painted wall surfaces, and the wax has not left any sticky residue.
So far she’s spent some happy hours self-entertaining with this product (and given mommy some blessed quiet-time) while learning to follow step-by-step visual directions and engaged her imagination, as well.Â Despite the annoying TV commercials, Bendaroos is a winner for us!
I would think that these would be a big hit for home schoolers and teachers too… have you used them for educational or therapeutic benefit? Leave me a comment and I’ll do a follow-up post about it!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018