Halloween is just around the corner, and my kids are so excited. As a Mom, though, I’m worried about safety after dark. So my son and I came up with a Halloween Craft- a tote bag that he could make (and meet his specifications of “being cool” ) and I would be happy that it would provide some additional visibility on his route.
- Natural or white canvas tote
- Simply Spray Fabric Paint (We used lime green.)
- Tulip Slick 3-D fashion paint in Neon & Glow
- Iron-On Reflective Tape
- Flat-tipped paintbrush
- black acrylic paint (We used a combo of Martha Stewart Glitter Paint, High Gloss Black Paint, and Tintable Fabric Medium.)
- Glow in the Dark Glitter
- Black Fabric Marker (optional)
- Bat Template (We used one we found online.)
The first step is optional. The color of the canvas bag may be just what you’re going for, but we wanted a lime green tote so we so the bats would “pop”!
To dye the tote, spread out newspapers or a plastic disposable tablecloth to protect your surface. Using the Simply Spray, mist the tote bag to get the coverage you desire. Let it dry completely- overnight is best.
The next part may require some adult supervision. Iron on the reflective tape around the top of the tote. Alternatively, you can glue it on and let it dry overnight again.
Now color in the shapes using your black paint and flat-tipped brush. If you don’t have glitter paint, you can sprinkle some black glitter on while it’s wet.
When the paint is dry, outline the bats with the Tulip glow-in-the-dark 3D slick pain. This fun glow-in-the-dark paint will help drivers help see your kid in the dark- so it’s practical as well as fun! Add extra squiggles or dots if you kid likes it.
Lastly, write in your “Trick or Treat” message with the fabric marker. Or, you can use the Glow paint and write on the tote with that.
Click the link to see another version of a Glow-In-The Dark Halloween Tote.
You may also like these other kid-friendly Halloween party and treats:
Just a reminder-you can get more fun crafty tips on my Facebook Page, join the conversation on Twitter, or even follow my Pins on Pinterest. And if you don’t want to miss a single day of CTD, sign up for my email list on the side bar. Thanks!
Enjoy this Halloween and be safe, everyone!
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017