About this time of year, my kids get the itch to start making gifts for friends, teachers, and grandparents. I came up with a kid-friendly craft that will enable them to give a gift they’ll be proud of- and it’s a great way to share those wallet-size photos from school pictures!
I used a manual die-cutting machine for this (the Spellbinders Grand Calibur) because my kids, ages 6 and 10, know how to use it independently and frankly the results are great! But you can use hand punches if you like, instead.
- Manual Die Cutting Machine and Nesting Dies (I used Scalloped Circles) OR
- Hand Punches 1.5″ and 3″
- Feltie Sheets (stiffened felt) OR Foamies
- Elmer’s Craft Bond Glue OR Foamie Glue (you DO need special glue for foamies, FYI)
- ButtonsÂ (I used Ocean Blue and Fancy Grab bag)
- Ribbon for hanging
- Angels Start-Ups
- Permanent marker
First, have your kids cut large circles in 3 1/2″ or 4″ size for the bases. Then, cut the “wreath” portion by positioning the 3″ or the 3 1/2″ die and centering the 2″ die into the middle. Use a piece of painter’s tape to keep it from shifting around while you run it through the machine.
Save that area that is punched out- we’ll use it on the back!
Next, cut a piece of ribbon at least 6″ long and glue it to the base.
Take your wallet-size photos and position them so the face is centered in the middle. Cut away the excess with scissors. use a dab of glue to secure the photo to the wreath, then add more glue to the entire thing and glue it to the base.
Now to decorate! Use a little more ribbon to make a bow, and add a decorative button. Then glue little buttons around the wreath as ornaments.
While that’s setting up, write the child’s name and year on the Angel Start-up and glue it to that center from the first step. Lastly, glue that to the back of the ornament so that both sides are festive.
You’ll have such a good time crafting together as a family, and the kids will be so proud that they made the gifts themselves!
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017