As I mentioned in this haul video, I picked up some of the Ken Oliver Crafts Liquid Metals (shimmering liquid watercolor paints) at my local stamp store- and I was eager to try them out! Originally I thought they were powders, like the rest of his line, but-NO! So I did a Periscope to check them out.
The original Periscope was over an hour long, but I’ve edited it down here to the best 15 minutes. In the video, you’ll see me working on watercolor paper and Yupo- when I did the test on regular cardstock, I used some of the Colorburst Powders to make the color more vibrant. I left that part out, since it wasn’t as relevant.
(By the way, you can follow me on Periscope for LIVE ‘scopes and chats, or watch them here, no app needed!)
Now on with the video!
And here are my take-aways:
- Liquid is concentrated enough to dilute and still get lovely shimmery effects
- Mica particles are fine enough to use as a “wash” over stamped images without obscuring the lines
- At $6 a container, it’s moderately priced for the quality. AND PS- I overpaid at my LSS -$30 a set. I could have gotten them on Amazon.com for cheaper! (affiliate link: http://amzn.to/1UiqZUG)
- It’s liquid- which means I can’t use it in the same fashion as Colorburst. I like to keep dry pigments with dry and wet with wet. Mixing is unsatisfying for me.
- The shimmer is sliver across all of the colors- the shimmer doesn’t match the color per se.
- Only 12 colors are offered so far.
Again, I should have started with the Heavy Metals color palette (I think I’ll treat myself to some!) but then again, there are other alternatives for liquid shimmering watercolors – thinking of my fave Radiant Rains and Lindy’s Magical Powders, which you add your own water to so you get the concentration you like.
Do you have a favorite shimmering LIQUID watercolor I should know about? I’d love to hear from you so I can do an epic comparison!
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018