Last year I reviewed the KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square- and while I liked the laser function, I found it a bit unwieldy and inconvenient to use because it had no mat or platform of it’s own. Now the folks at KellyCraft have remedied that situation by creating a mat that works both as a “home base” for the Laser Square or as an independent work surface.
Here’s how they describe it on their website:
The ONE mat that will meet your many needs! The Multi-MatTM is a multi-purpose work surface that was specifically designed to integrate with the Get-It-StraightTM Laser Square. This self healing magnetic mat is the perfect work surface for all your projects. It has a special cutout that acts as a “docking station” for the Get-It-StraightTM Laser Square, holding it securely in place. The Multi-MatTM backing is cushioned to support even stamping and provides a safe surface for setting eyelets or using a piercing tool. When not using the Laser Square, the cutout serves as a tray for smaller items. Limited quanties (sic) available, order yours now! Four strong magnets included.
Let’s take a closer look!
As mentioned, there is a nice thick self-healing cutting surface. I really like the nice bold lines and markings- it was easy to read!
You can see the magnets that come with it- they are VERY strong. So strong, in fact that they kept “jumping” onto each other when they were too close together. And it was a challenge pulling them apart! And PLEASE keep them away from children and pets, as they are small enough to swallow.
The Get It Straight Laser Square nestles right into the track above!
Now, apparently you can also buy a magnet to put on the back of the Laser Square- but I’m not sure I see the need for it. (Unless you are carrying it around.) The Laser Square fit in like a glove and did not shift around.
Here you can see just how nice it is to have a surface- the square and the Multi-Mat fit perfectly together to create an optimal surface for measuring and crafting.
I used it to cut a window from this cardstock- and the laser paired with the mat meant that I could measure and cut on the same surface.
(Pro Tip: Since I’m right handed, I find it’s best if I shine the laser down from the top or the left-hand side, so that my writing hand doesn’t block the light.)
Afterward, I looked for my cutting marks- couldn’t find any!
But I did notice this:
Do you see how the laser is RIGHT ON THE LINE at the top of the mat, and just to the LEFT of the line at the bottom? Well, the light isn’t bending. It means that the mat is installed ever-so-off of plumb. It’s a little thing, but if you are selling a tool to help you Get It Straight and then your Multi-Mat ISN’T, you are kind of defeating the purpose of being “perfect.”
I also used the mat for some stamping.
I got nice crisp images, which is awesome because my table is rather warped and I always have to put down a stamping mat. Now I can keep this on my worktable and use it instead!
See? It looks right at home on my messy desk!
- Works great with the Laser Square, giving it a secure “home base”
- Nice cutting surface
- Great stamping surface
- Large markings
- Magnetized so you can use magnets or magnetized rulers to keep your projects secure
- Noted the mat is 1-2mm off of center
- $49.00 USD might be a bit pricey if you weren’t using it with the laser square.
Lucky for us, you can get it for $37 and FREE SHIPPING using our Amazon Affiliate link below!
All it all, I think it’s a great addition to the Laser Square and I can see me using it a WHOLE lot more often now! What do you think?
Disclosure: sample provided for review but all opinions are 100% honest and based on my first-hand experience with the product.
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018