Granted, the summer show of the Craft and Hobby Association (CHA) is mostly geared toward paper crafting, but I DID see some jewelry. Again, the trend that first prevailed at the winter show is still going strong- mixed media is still all the rage.
So what does this mean? Well a couple of things!
- Mixed metals are a must. Mix up your silver, antique gold, steel, and copper. The only rule I’ve seen is pretty loose- keep your finishes consistent. For example, it your are working with antique gold, feel free to mix it with matte finished silver or gunmetal. On the other hand, pair bright silver and bright gold to your hearts’ content!
- Add fabric and ribbon to keep it fresh. I saw ribbons woven through wide chain, ribbon rosettes stitched and attached as embellishments. The textiles give a feminine look and soften all of those hard edges.
- Vintage looks abound. So many of the jewelry lines look like they are collages of old bracelets, your grandma’s brooches, and stray chains from your jewelry box. And I mean this in a GOOD way! This also gives all of us permission to disassemble old pieces and put them together with new components to really make our jewelry looks personal and unique!
- Multiple layers and asymmetry prevail. Using many layers of strung beads, wired components, and lengths of chain, you can free yourself from worrying whether or not both sides match!
A special thank you to Audry from Making Memories/Vintage Groove, who spoke with me at length about the long, arduous process of translating a design into a something that can be manufactured en masse and brought to market. I have so much respect for that!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017