Spring has sprung early here in North Eastern Ohio, and we’ve got lovely flowers blooming outside. I used some shrink plastic to make some sweet little flower head pins and bring some of that “spring” indoors to my crafting table.
Disclosures: some links below may be affiliate links.
They are actually really easy. Let me show you how to make them!
- Clear shrink plastic (I used clear for that translucent look.)
- White glass “corsage” pins
- Alcohol-based markers (I used LetraSet ProMarkers, but Copics or Spectrum Noir would work too.
- 2 inch flower punch (I used the “Whale of a Punch” by EK Success, but this die would be great, too!)
- 1/8 inch hole punch
- Heat tool
- Sanding block or sandpaper
- Hot Glue Gun Helpers (not mandatory, but really helpful)
First, punch out your shapes with the punch. You can add a small hole as shown, but really it’s not necessary.
Then scuff up your plastic using the sanding block and color the sanded area using your alcohol-based markers. If you didn’t punch a hole in the middle , now you can just pierce it with the headpin, like so.
Next, apply heat and shrink the plastic. It will curl up and rock around a bit, but when the plastic is fully shrunk it will be flat.
Repeat until you have a full bouquet of shrink plastic flower pins. Next, I’ll show you how to make the cute little pincushion. Stay tuned!
That’s it! These are adorable just sitting in a pincushion, but you could also add them to cards, ATCs, or other cute mixed media projects!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018