I love a good upcycling craft, I love little storage containers, and I also love Washi Tape. This, my friends, is therefore my “Trifecta” of crafting- a project that recycles mint tins- like the ones for Altoids- into happy little storage tins- great for earbud storage!
Disclosure: links below are affiliate links and I’ll receive a small commission if you make a purchase. Thank you for supporting CTD.
To make them, you’ll need:
- Recycled mint tin (I used Altoids)
- Sandpaper/spraypaint (optional)
- Mod Podge (I like matte)
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (I used silver- it has glitter in it)
- Washi Tape
- Paper or chipboard embellishments if desired
First, if you like, you can scuff up the tin with the sandpaper and give it a base coat of spray paint. You can also use some needle-nose pliers and separate the top from the bottom of the tin- but frankly, I’m WAY too lazy for that. I just put a quick coat of Gesso on the top of my tin and let it dry for 10 minutes. You’re going to decoupage the Washi Tape down anyway, but a coat of Gesso/white paint will keep the colors on the tin from showing through the translucent tape.
Trim away the excess with a craft knife. For the corners, you’ll need to make little snips like darts so that it folds down smoothly. Burnish it all down with your fingernail.
As you can see from the photo above, I also ran a strip of tape around the base of the tin, just below where the top snaps in place.
Next, add a coat of Mod Podge all over- it’ll keep the Washi Tape from peeling up.
Now you can add some paper embellishments or chipboard- the Mod Podge will act like the glue. For this one, I used a chipboard element that has a negative space- which I then filled with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. LOVE that sparkle!
In my other tins, I added some Mod Podge Dimensional Magic on top for a super-glossy top coat. I like that look, too.
I use these little tins in my studio to hold jewelry findings, UTEE, little punched embellishments, and office supplies. But you could also…
- make little sewing kits
- prevent tangled earbuds
- gather first aid supplies for your purse or backpack
- keep your business cards in them
- use it as a place to park your jewelry while traveling
- create gift boxes for earrings, gift cards, or other small presents
…I could go on all day! I hope you’ll make a few- it’s so much fun!
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY & GIVEAWAY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017