Yes, Easter has come and gone. How would you like to use up those plastic eggs instead of saving them for next year? I’ve got a fun sensory/music craft for you today that will probably cost you ZERO dollars out of pocket AND is Earth-Friendly, too! That’s a three-fer craft, folks. Recycle those plastic eggs!
You’ll need to first do a scavenger hunt around your house for:
- plastic eggs
- old tissue paper, comics, gift wrap, or thin, flexible handmade paper like mulberry paper
- white glue or my favorite Mod Podge
- an old paintbrush
- “Fill” for the shakers- legumes, popcorn, beads, paper clips, safety pins, Lego, pennies, sand, kitty litter….what ever!
- Some Puffy Paint, glitter, or Stickles if you want to decorate them
The first thing is do your scavenger hunt. Anything you can fit into a plastic egg is fair game!
Then sit down with your kiddos (or not, if you want to use them as musical instruments) and test out how different media sound in the eggs. It’s REALLY interesting to compare organic fill (sand, popcorn, dried beans) with plastics or metal. Each sounds differently and this teaches auditory discrimination.
If you are going to do this craft as part of a sensory activity, you ask some questions:
- Are the sounds high or low?
- What happens if you put just a little fill in an egg compared to filling it all up?
- Which fill feels better in your fingers?
Encourage lots of touching and verbalizing!
Next, get to the MAKING part.
I have put together a video for you on that.
Have making music and noise with your recycled egg shakers!
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017