I kid about my children being my “junior assistants.” But lately, my 11-year-old son has taken on a crafting identity all his own. I really wanted to share his creations- and process- with you.
“D” really enjoys playing a game called MineCraft and has been playing for the last 6 months or so.
Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine. At night monsters come out, make sure to build a shelter before that happens.
Part of the fun- and charm- of the game is creating or using objects and characters using a 16-bit video graphics. My boy has decided to decorate his middle-school locker using Perler-bead magnets. He built used the MineCraft images for inspiration & came up with these.
Just for reference- here’s an image of Creeper from the game:
What makes is so fun- and easy- is that since the images are built on the 16-bit format, my son just matched the colors and built the images Perler bead by Perler bead. (I fused them, since he’s still a bit wary of the iron.) If you have paid for the game, you can also create your own characters for the game….which then you can translate into Perler Beads.
Anyhoo, I’m super-proud of him for both his creativity and problem-solving skills.
If you’d like to create your own versions, it’s pretty simple- just click the photos, print them out, and use them as a guide to create your own. D says he thinks it’s cool that other kids might want to make his crafts.
I do, too. But not nearly as cool as he is.
(If you’d like to purchase Perler Bead supplies, please support CTD by using our affiliate links below.)
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017
- Review and Demo of Sign Brush Felt Tip Markers from Pentel Arts - July 22, 2017