It’s the rush of the holiday season again- and while I’d shared this project on CraftsUnleashed awhile back, I forgot to share it here. And truthfully, if you pop by my house today, this is really what I’m doing. While they are made with simple buttery crackers, they taste like the expensive scout cookies those cute girls in green sell! I love to package them up in packs of six and give them out to the school crossing guards, teachers, neighbor, and good friends. Just a little homemade treat to share the holiday spirit!
Here’s how I make them. You’ll need:
- Double boiler OR a Candy Melter
- TWO 2 lb bag of Dark Chocolate flavor Candy Melts (Milk Chocolate if you prefer is OK, too.)
- 2 Sleeves of Ritz-type round crackers
- candy canes or starlight peppermints, crushed
Start off by melting your chocolate wafers in steel bowl placed on the base of the Candy Melter. Set the dial to “melt.” It took about 10 minutes.
Stir occasionally to speed up the melting process.
It melted the chocolate wafers beautifully, and it was such a relief not to stand over a hot stove while using a double boiler. After the wafers are melted, you can set the dial to “warm” and it’ll keep your candy smooth and workable without scorching. Great, huh? Next, take a moment to crush your peppermint candy. (It’s a great job for a kid!) Just place your candy in zip-top sandwich bag and bang with the back of a large metal spoon it’s in crumbles.
Now to dip our crackers! I like to use both the pronged fork that comes in the kit and a fork to help flip them over. Just drop the cracker in the melted candy wafers, flip them with the fork, then lift out of the candy. Tap the fork gently on the side of the bowl and then slide the cracker off the fork using the pronged tool. Place them on waxed paper or freezer paper.
While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle on some of the peppermint bits. Then let them cool completely.There you have it! They are lovely on a plate for serving, or box them up for gifts for teacher, your hairdresser, paperboy, or neighbor. And truly….this was one DELICIOUS post to write!
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017