I posted this technique over at CraftsUnleashed.com and it’s one I love. It’s so easy to make a stamped and then embossed “resist” that looks amazing with watercolors or shimmer sprays. Have fun!
I love stamping and I love watercolorsâ€¦ itâ€™s so soothing to blend those translucent colors on my paper! So today, Iâ€™m going to show you how to use stamping and clear embossing powder as a â€œresistâ€ to make some lovely (and easy) greeting cards.
(Note: in traditional watercolor painting, wax, oil, or a liquid gum is applied to paper. When the watercolor is applied, the paint doesnâ€™t stick to the areas that have been treated with the application, and therefore no color is absorbed. Often the wax or gum is removed, leaving clear, white paper.)
- Greeting Cards with Envelopes
- Rubber Stamps (I used Scrappy Cat)
- Clear Embossing Powder
- Embossing Stamp Pad (I like VersaMark)
- Watercolor paints
- Watercolor brush
- Lo-tack (Painterâ€™s) tape
- Heat Gun
Start off by stamping a design on the front of your greeting card. Make sure you use an embossing-style pad (one that has no pigment in it.) This is essential for letting the color of the paper show through. Follow up by sprinkling on your clear embossing powder and then melting it with your heat gun.
Next, tape your card down to your work surface. The paper will tend to wrinkle, and the tape will help it keep itâ€™s shape as it dries. I also like the â€œborderâ€ it creates!
Give your watercolors a few drops of water to soften them up and get the pigment flowingâ€¦then just do a wash of color over the top of your card. Youâ€™ll see that the watercolor paint soaks into the card, but just beads up and rolls off of the stamped areas:
Continue to add color as you like. Let the paper dry completely before you peel off the tape.
Hereâ€™s on more I made using the same stamp set:
There you go! This fun technique also looks great on scrapbook pages and ATCâ€™s, so have some fun experimenting!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018