My kids have been out of school for a week and already they are going a little stir crazy. Here’s a fun, snow day/ sick day/school break craft that will keep them occupied for a while: coffee filter snowflakes!
This is an oldie-but-a-goodie craft; they are lovely, but so fragile! We take our version up a notch by adding some sparkle with glitter and then preserving them with laminating so you can treasure them year after year!
- Round, white coffee filters
- Kid-safe scissors
- Krylon glitter spray
- Purple Cow Laminator & laminating sheets (optional)
- decorative edge scissors
If it’s been awhile since you’ve made snowflakes, never fear! The trick is all in the folding.
- Fold coffee filter in half.
- Fold that into thirds.
- Fold that in half.
- Cut on top, tip, and on folded edges.
- Open and be amazed!
Now, this is where the process has stopped for most folks. However, I want my daughters’ precious creations to sparkle and to last!
Following the directions on the can, shake the Krylon glitter spray well. (Read more about Krylon Glitter Spray here.) Place your snowflake in a shallow box or on newspaper and spray the glitter on in light, quick strokes. Let dry completely.
Next we want to laminate them. Place a snowflake in a laminating pouch (I found the 8 X 8 inch ones worked perfectly.) Laminate your snowflakes using the Purple Cow Laminator. (Read my review of it here.)
Lastly, cut around the snowflake with some decorative-edge scissors, making sure that you leave at least 1/8 of an inch around the snowflake. Then you can punch holes and use fishing line to hang them from ceilings or just tape them to the windows for winter fun!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018