I’m not sure even if I can really call this a “how-to” because it’s sooooooo easy. And I winged most of it. But here’s the story, anyway:
My kiddos and I have been planning to see The Lorax for quite some time. MUCH anticipation. So I decided to get crafty and make a Lorax hat to wear to the movie! (Yes, I’m THAT kind of a nerd.)
I started with some basic loom-knitting supplies: orange yarn I had in my stash, some fuzzy orange yarn, and a medium loom. But the “special sauce” ingredient was the Martha Stewart Quick and Cozy yarn from Lion Brand.
To make the hat, I cast on a double strand of regular and fuzzy orange yarns. I knit around and around and around until the tube got to be about 10 inches, and then I cast off by gathering up the yarn from the pegs with the tail of the yarn. Then I turned it inside out.
To add the Lorax eyebrows, I cut 4 inch lengths of the Martha Stewart Yarn and folded them in half. Then I applied them to the hat latch-hook style (that is, by making larks-head knots) in the general shape of an eyebrown. I think I used 5 pieces per eyebrow. I stitched on blue buttons for eyes.
To make the mustache, I kind of just free-formed crocheted it. I’ve never learned to crochet properly, so I can’t give you a pattern. But what I did was to start of with a chain of about 15 stitches and then work in single, double and treble crochet stitches to get the general shape. However, you could also just add the mustache the same way I added the eyebrows….and it would be a lot less bulky! I just tied the mustache on with matching yarn.
In the end, it looked like this:
Well, I liked it. And I wore it, too:
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY & GIVEAWAY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017