This holiday season, I was all about making Cream Cheese Candies. The recipe is super simple (literally 3 ingredients and some food coloring) and it’s a family favorite. However, when I went to find my candy molds for making the little buggers, I could only find one. What’s a crafty momma to do but make her own?
Luckily, I’d used 2-part silicon mold-making compound before, and I still had some Amazing Molding Putty in my stash. (If you can’t find that brand, Mold n Pour is readily available at places like Michael’s. ) First, I gathered some Legos to make molds with.
Then you take equal parts of your compound and mash them together until they are a uniform color. I use Amazing Mold Putty because it’s silicone and therefore safe for food. Buy it here on Amazon.com: (aff) http://amzn.to/2op7XPv
Now they’re ready to go!
For each batch of candy, you’ll need:
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- a few drops of flavoring oils or 1/4 teaspoon extract (I like lemon, peppermint, and cinnamon!)
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- food coloring gel or drops
- granulated sugar for molding
Mix the flavoring, cream cheese, and food coloring all together. Then slowly add the powdered sugar until a dough forms.
To mold the candies, pick a piece of candy dough about the size of a marble. Roll it into a ball, and dip in the granulated sugar.
Press the ball into the mold, sugar side down. Remove any excess candy dough. Then invert the mold over some deli-wrap or waxed paper and carfully press the bottom to release the candy. You might need to tweak it a bit with your fingers if if got distorted with de-molding.
Here’s a video showing you how:
That’s all there is to it. They are nice little gluten-free treats for kid’s treats and lego-themed birthday parties, too.
If you need to purchase items to create this project, I hope you’ll use my affiliate link:
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017