I’m a big fan of Halloween- always have been. And when I learned about Mexico’s Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos), I was even more smitten. To celebrate both, I created these glow-in-the-dark Calaveras of polymer clay, my version of the traditional sugar skulls.
I’ve made a few photo collages to help you learn how I did it. You don’t need much- some Glow-In-The-Dark polymer clay, scraps of colored clay, and a frame of your choosing. (I used one by Industrial Chic.) You might also want some crystals or beads for the eyes.
Roll some scrap clay about the thickness of 4 playing cards, and cut it to the size of the frame.
Then you’ll condition some clay (that means get it warm and pliable by kneading it) and rolls some snakes. Make some coils and leaves as shown in the above photo. Place your coils and leaves as shown on the base clay. Raw clay will stick nicely to raw clay without any adhesive.
Then you’ll need to make the actual skull from the Glow In The Dark clay. Start with a piece of clay about the size of a toy bouncy ball.
You can either press dark clay into the recesses, or wait until you bake the piece and then do a sepia wash over top. I chose to add some black clay into the mouth and nostrils. I also chose to press chantons into the eye sockets. Then you can finish embellishing with more swirls, leaves and balls of clay.
Bake according to the polymer clay directions on the package. I’m not sure how I’m going to use the piece I made above, but this other one I made I just threaded onto a cord to wear.
I just love wearing it- all year round. I hope you make one of your own.
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017