I’m a big fan of Halloween- always have been. And when I learned about Mexico’s Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos), I was even more smitten. To celebrate both, I created these glow-in-the-dark Calaveras of polymer clay, my version of the traditional sugar skulls.
I’ve made a few photo collages to help you learn how I did it. You don’t need much- some Glow-In-The-Dark polymer clay, scraps of colored clay, and a frame of your choosing. (I used one by Industrial Chic.) You might also want some crystals or beads for the eyes.
Roll some scrap clay about the thickness of 4 playing cards, and cut it to the size of the frame.
Then you’ll condition some clay (that means get it warm and pliable by kneading it) and rolls some snakes. Make some coils and leaves as shown in the above photo. Place your coils and leaves as shown on the base clay. Raw clay will stick nicely to raw clay without any adhesive.
Then you’ll need to make the actual skull from the Glow In The Dark clay. Start with a piece of clay about the size of a toy bouncy ball.
You can either press dark clay into the recesses, or wait until you bake the piece and then do a sepia wash over top. I chose to add some black clay into the mouth and nostrils. I also chose to press chantons into the eye sockets. Then you can finish embellishing with more swirls, leaves and balls of clay.
Bake according to the polymer clay directions on the package. I’m not sure how I’m going to use the piece I made above, but this other one I made I just threaded onto a cord to wear.
I just love wearing it- all year round. I hope you make one of your own.
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017