Last month hubby and I headed to London for a week. I love that city, and it was my first time being there around the holiday season. I was entranced by English Christmas Crackers (not the food, the party favors!) and even took a class at Handmade London on how to make them. Sadly, you cannot readily find the snaps that make them true “crackers” in the US. So I’ve swapped a few things out to make an American version to use as a place setting. Just as pretty, and functional, too.
To make them, you’ll need:
- paper tube roll, cut into 4 inch and two, 2-inch lengths. (3 segments total)
- 2 6-inch pieces of curling ribbon or twine
- gift wrap, 14 inches by 5 inches
- tape roller
- cardstock to make name tags
- tissue paper (for making the crown and/or stuffing the tube
- small trinkets/favors to put inside.
- Decorative ribbon/ embellishments
Tie up the other end and tuck the excess paper from the ends back into the tube. You can now embellish with tissue flowers (like I did) or stickers, or feathers, or ribbon bows, or whatever. I used a punch to create my name tags. Now everyone will know where to sit!
I also made a little video for you, so you can see some authentic English Christmas Crackers I found at a wholesale club- as well as see me create the Americanized version in less than 5 minutes. How’s THAT for speed-crafting???
So there you have it- fun little place-setting favors. Wouldn’t these be fun for New Year’s dinner or breakfast, too? Or you could use them as birthday party favors!
Disclaimer- just make sure the kiddos using them are supervised and you adhere to the guidelines on the packaging. NOT FOR SMALL CHILDREN. But you knew that, right? Of course you did.
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017
- Review and Demo of Sign Brush Felt Tip Markers from Pentel Arts - July 22, 2017
- Mixed Media Paper Feathers - July 18, 2017
- Organizing Distress Stain Ink Pads - July 14, 2017
- Review and demo of On Point Glue from Imagine Crafts - July 12, 2017
- Magic-Glos UV Curing Resin by Lisa Pavelka - July 6, 2017
- “Firecracker” Rice Treat Pops - July 4, 2017
- Dare 2B Artzy Hybrid Stamp Pad- review and demo - June 28, 2017
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017