‘Tis the season for holiday parties- and no one wants to arrive empty-handed. Instead of showing up with a bottle of wine, how about hand-crafting a set of Monogrammed coasters for a hostess gift?
These also work well for a gift exchange- just substitute a snowflake or tree design for the initials.
- 4-inch scalloped-edged mirrors (I got mine from ConsumerCrafts.com)
- Adhesive vinyl
- Cricut machine & font cartridge of choice (I used Storybook)
- Armor Etching cream
Start off by selecting your initial from the Storybook Cricut cartridge, and cut them out using the vinyl. I used a 2 3/4 letter to fit nicely within the mirrorâ€™s area. Remember to use the â€œ3=Speed/3=Pressureâ€ formula for perfect cuts through the vinyl but not the backing material.
I decided to make the most of my materials and use both the positive and the shapes- that way with every monogram cut I actually get two stencils to use.
While the Cricut is cutting out that intricate shape for you, clean your mirrors with a bit of alcohol or window cleaner.
When your Cricut is done, unload the mat and remove the vinyl from the mat. Carefully cut a square around the vinyl shape. Remove the â€œnegativeâ€ space first (not the monogram, but the area around it.) Place it on your mirror. You may need to position internal spaces, as wellâ€“ like the part inside my â€œR.â€
Place the monogram sticker in the middle of a second mirror.
Follow the manufacturerâ€™s instructions on the package of the etching cream, and apply the cream to the exposed areas of mirror. (My bottle said to leave it for 10 minutes, so I used that time to cut another stencil and prep another set of mirrors!)
Rinse off the cream according to the directions, and remove the vinyl. Dry with a soft cloth. Ta-Da! Youâ€™re done!
This is also a great wedding or anniversary gift idea: what couple wouldn’t like a set of 6 coasters with their monogram? It would make a fabulous housewarming or teacher present, too!
So have fun, and get crafting!
Disclosure: this craft was originally designed for CraftsUnleashed and the coasters were provided free of charge.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018