If you are looking for a last minute Christmas tree decoration or Christmas gift, here are some chic and fun bird ornaments to make using supplies you likely already have in your stash, plus Lumiere paints from Jacquard Products. Created by Mel Designs, these birds were painted with Lumiere (read Jenny’s review of them here) and hand scripted with a Tee Juice Marker.
Starting with 6″ muslin squares, use a paint brush and metallic Lumiere paints in Citrene, Metallic Gold and Metallic Copper. When using darker colors such as the copper, dilute the paint with water in a 1:1 ratio to create a colorwash. For each bird you will need two squares each for the front and back.
When the squares are dry, carefully iron them flat using a medium high setting with a iron and pressing surface. Use a Tee Juice Marker to hand script “words” across the entire square. To do this, form a capitol letter and continue to write illegibly so that the writing resembles a foreign language.
Next, die cut a bird shape or use a simple bird pattern that will fit within a 6″ square. Die cutÂ or trace pattern on one right side of square and oneÂ wrong side of square for the front and the back of the bird.
For theÂ wing, trace a 3′ teardrop shape onÂ some oatmeal colored wool felt with a fabric marking pen. Make sure the wool felt is doubled over so that you can cut the shapesÂ out with scissors at the same time.
To sew the bird and wing, use a sewing machine and thread to straight stitch the edges of theÂ muslin to the wing. Layer the wing shapes together and sew around the edges leaving aÂ 2″ opening to lightly stuff withÂ polyfil fiber. Stuff and sew the opening closed. Repeat this step for the bird.
Glue the wing to the bird with fabricÂ glue pressing intoÂ place. Embellish your bird as desired with die cut holly and berries,Â jeweled brads and a pretty sparkly hanger. A small black pebble bead stands in for the bird eye, attached with aÂ strong adhesive.
Editor’s note: Love it? Of course! Want to win some??
To win a Lumiere Mini Exciter Pack andÂ from Jacquard Products, visit their facebook page, like them and mention you saw them on Craft Test Dummies. This pack includes eight 1/2oz bottles of Lumiere, a lustrous metallic paint that can be used on fabric, leather, paper and wood. Pack includes: Pearl Turquoise, Pearl White, Metallic Bronze, Halo Violet-Gold, Metallic Olive, Halo Pink-Gold, Pewter and Metallic Gold.
We will choose five winners at random by midnight December 30th and announce the winner on the Mel Designs blog. Good luck!
Live Life Creatively,
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017
- Three Washi Tape Card Ideas - October 19, 2017
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017