If you are looking for a last minute Christmas tree decoration or Christmas gift, here are some chic and fun bird ornaments to make using supplies you likely already have in your stash, plus Lumiere paints from Jacquard Products. Created by Mel Designs, these birds were painted with Lumiere (read Jenny’s review of them here) and hand scripted with a Tee Juice Marker.
Starting with 6″ muslin squares, use a paint brush and metallic Lumiere paints in Citrene, Metallic Gold and Metallic Copper. When using darker colors such as the copper, dilute the paint with water in a 1:1 ratio to create a colorwash. For each bird you will need two squares each for the front and back.
When the squares are dry, carefully iron them flat using a medium high setting with a iron and pressing surface. Use a Tee Juice Marker to hand script “words” across the entire square. To do this, form a capitol letter and continue to write illegibly so that the writing resembles a foreign language.
Next, die cut a bird shape or use a simple bird pattern that will fit within a 6″ square. Die cutÂ or trace pattern on one right side of square and oneÂ wrong side of square for the front and the back of the bird.
For theÂ wing, trace a 3′ teardrop shape onÂ some oatmeal colored wool felt with a fabric marking pen. Make sure the wool felt is doubled over so that you can cut the shapesÂ out with scissors at the same time.
To sew the bird and wing, use a sewing machine and thread to straight stitch the edges of theÂ muslin to the wing. Layer the wing shapes together and sew around the edges leaving aÂ 2″ opening to lightly stuff withÂ polyfil fiber. Stuff and sew the opening closed. Repeat this step for the bird.
Glue the wing to the bird with fabricÂ glue pressing intoÂ place. Embellish your bird as desired with die cut holly and berries,Â jeweled brads and a pretty sparkly hanger. A small black pebble bead stands in for the bird eye, attached with aÂ strong adhesive.
Editor’s note: Love it? Of course! Want to win some??
To win a Lumiere Mini Exciter Pack andÂ from Jacquard Products, visit their facebook page, like them and mention you saw them on Craft Test Dummies. This pack includes eight 1/2oz bottles of Lumiere, a lustrous metallic paint that can be used on fabric, leather, paper and wood. Pack includes: Pearl Turquoise, Pearl White, Metallic Bronze, Halo Violet-Gold, Metallic Olive, Halo Pink-Gold, Pewter and Metallic Gold.
We will choose five winners at random by midnight December 30th and announce the winner on the Mel Designs blog. Good luck!
Live Life Creatively,
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018