A big hello to first-time “Guest Dummy” Ashlee from I’m Topsy Turvy. She’s got great tutorials for the crafters, and cakes to DIE for. I mean really spectacular! Anyway, I love what Ashlee did with these eggs- and you all know that I LOVE my pistol-grip Dremel. Can’t wait to try these out myself! I published this post a few years ago, but It’s so fabulous it deserved a command performance!
Last year I found this picture and story about Franc Grom. I thought, I bet I could do something like that with my handy dandy dremel! So first I blew out some eggs then I played with a few eggs trying to pick the best drill bit for the job. I tried about 4 different bits.
I ended up going with this high speed cutter. I can control the size of the holes this way. BUT because of it’s shape it doesn’t cut the inside… skin??? What would you call that stuff?
So then I took the small drill bit and ran it along the insides of the holes to clean them out. This was the smallest drill I could find. The 1/32th of an inch. Looking at the pictures of what Franc Grom does his is SO much thinner than my bit. I’m not even sure where he get’s his, but I’d love to find a smaller set. I’m still searching for a itty bitty microscopic drill bit like his.
Also my eggs kept breaking when I drilled the holes to close to each other. I have to wonder how Franc Grom gets rid of his inside “skin” as well as how he get’s his designs so close together. Does he treat the outside with something first? Something to make it stronger? When I try these again I’d try covering it with something, maybe Mod PodgeÂ first to help strengthen them, and even gloss them up a bit.-then try it. I would love to have been able to get more detail but I didn’t want to push my luck with even more eggs breaking.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018