The other day I was talking to my friend and jewelry artist Beth Martin and she started telling me about the great adhesive she uses with her beach glass creations. Finally, I said, “Beth, you need to write me an article!” And God bless her, she did. I hope her enthusiastic recommendation of Weldbond will help out fellow crafters.
I have spent the past several years designing jewelry and home accessories using beach glass, porcelain and findings from the shores of Lake Erie.Â The one major drawback I have had is a struggle with glues and adhesives.Â Creating on styrofoam, wood or glass would at times cause a bit of frustration as the glue would set up too quickly, dry cloudy, and become brittle or not fully cured.
While browsing the aisleâ€™s at my local Pat Catanâ€™s, I came across an adhesive that guaranteed it will bond to most anything.
Let me tell you why WELDBONDâ„¢ UNIVERSAL ADHESIVE is my new best friend.
Here’s how it’s described on their website:
Weldbond is more than just a great glue! Â It’s a universal adhesive that works fast to join many products to themselves as well as to each other. Take a look at what Weldbond can virtually weld together: cement, concrete, bricks, plaster, metal, glass, wood tiles, building panels, andÂ much more.
Weldbond is more than an adhesive. It’s also a powerful universal primer for porous surfaces. It’s a weatherproofer, dustproofer, hardener, and bonding agent. Just mix Weldbond with sawdust, grout, cement or plaster and be amazed at the tremendous strengthit offers your repair work. For more details, view our Weldbond FAQs.
- Non-flammable, non-toxic & dries clear
- Unmatched as a primer for porous surfaces
- Highly water-resistant & impervious to petroleum, oil, grease, salt, moulds and fungi, alkali’s & weak acids.
- Withstands all climatic conditions after curing
- Non-staining and will not become brittle with age
- Highly concentrated, can be mixed with water and used a a sealer for many surfaces.
- Tested and approved by CMHC for use in National Housing Act Construction
It adheres to anything and everything.Â The drying time is about an hour; cure time is 24 hours.
It markets itself as being â€œnon-toxic, no fumes and water cleanupâ€ (there are a few exceptions with certain products listed on the label).
Non toxic?Â Yes â€“ non toxic!
No fumes?Â Come on â€“ you mean I wonâ€™t have to put on a respirator? Or work outside?
Water clean up?Â You are kidding me â€“ I never heard of nor tried any adhesive that is water cleanup. No rubbing solvent on the tips of your fingers to remove the hardened glue?
Non flammable? Yes â€“ non flammable!
I had to try this one!
For less than $6, I purchased a 9 oz. tube of Weldbondâ„¢
Weldbondâ„¢ is the number one adhesive on my craft table â€“ I use it without hesitation on anything and everything.Â It is NOT instant dry.Â You have a couple of minutes to â€œadjustâ€ your design before it sets. I didnâ€™t have to use a solvent, paint thinner or turpentine for clean up, which is a big plus in my book.Â Just soap and water!
The only warning on the tube is to keep the glue from freezing!Â What? Keep from freezing?Â I can do that!
It carries the EcoLogoâ„¢ seal of approval â€“ another plus in my book!
Another added bonus is it is also an exterior adhesive â€“ if mixed with a little water will adhere to concrete, drywall, etc.Â Donâ€™t be surprised if you find it in your hubbyâ€™s tool box!
The pictures will show you how clear the Weldbondâ„¢ has dried using glass on glass, glass on painted wood and glass on styrofoam.
I am neither a spokesperson nor an employee of Weldbond.Â I am a jewelry designer who found a new best friend.
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018