Last year I did a few posts on making your own gelatin (gelli) printing plates. They are easy to do and it’s so fun to do some basic printmaking with kitchen supplies! I loved it SO much that I presented it on the kid’s craft show I host, Hands On Crafts for Kids. Today I want to share the segment with you so YOU can have fun making gelli print cards for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day… heck, EVERY day!
Some of the links below are affiliate links and a pay my web-hosting bills with the small commission I receive from your purchase. Thank you!
- unflavored gelatin (4 packs)
- smooth flat-bottomed container for molding
- plastic knife
- acrylic paints (I really like the Martha Stewart Crafts Paints)
- brayer for smoothing paint down
- texture tools (I like these combs from the Plaid/Martha Stewart Line)
Here are the basic directions:
- Place 2/3 cup of cool water in a molding container with a smooth bottom. Sprinkle 4 packs of UNFLAVORED gelatin on top. Stir quickly. Add 1/3 cup warm water, stirring. Set aside to set up. (1-2 hours)
- Demold gelatin by running bottom under warm water, then running a knife along the outside edge. Flip upside down onto a baking sheet or cutting board.
- Add a nickel-sized amount of paint to the gelatin block. Spread out evenly with a brayer or mini rolling pin. Create texture using the back of a paintbrush. Lay paper on top and rub; lift print; let dry.
- Cut the papers into heart shapes- you can use the positive and negative portions- and make fun cards and embellish them with stamped sentiments and glitter glue!
Here’s the one I made for the show….
And a few my daughter made this year….
And don’t forget the ones from LAST year!
So simple and fun! I encourage you to try it out! Leave me a comment if you have any questions or if you’ve tried it out yourself.
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017