I had my friend and artist Wendy Fedan over last Wednesday for some down-and-dirty art, making fabric paper. For those who don’t know, fabric paper is basically a collage based on fabric, and then layered with white glue and other paper, fabric, yarns, etc. Wendy and I sat in the sun and spent an hour making pieces. Here are a few that I made:
So here’s the basic tutorial: (I got it from Cloth Paper Scissors awhile back.)
Start with a plastic-covered surface, then layer some muslin, cheesecloth, etc.
Use a 50% white glue to water mix to saturate the cloth.
Layer on scraps of paper, tissue, yarns, fabrics, glitter, etc. Make sure they are all saturated with the glue mix.
Add paint as desired…. top it off with a layer of tissue to keep it all held together. (I like to stamp my tissue with waterproof ink, to add some focal points.) More glue on top, then let it dry for a day or two.
I just cut up a sheet and made some bookmarks for my CPS group…. I added a shrink-charm on the top that says “dream.” They could probably use more embellishment, but I’m under the gun to get them out ASAP!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017