I had my friend and artist Wendy Fedan over last Wednesday for some down-and-dirty art, making fabric paper. For those who don’t know, fabric paper is basically a collage based on fabric, and then layered with white glue and other paper, fabric, yarns, etc. Wendy and I sat in the sun and spent an hour making pieces. Here are a few that I made:
So here’s the basic tutorial: (I got it from Cloth Paper Scissors awhile back.)
Start with a plastic-covered surface, then layer some muslin, cheesecloth, etc.
Use a 50% white glue to water mix to saturate the cloth.
Layer on scraps of paper, tissue, yarns, fabrics, glitter, etc. Make sure they are all saturated with the glue mix.
Add paint as desired…. top it off with a layer of tissue to keep it all held together. (I like to stamp my tissue with waterproof ink, to add some focal points.) More glue on top, then let it dry for a day or two.
I just cut up a sheet and made some bookmarks for my CPS group…. I added a shrink-charm on the top that says “dream.” They could probably use more embellishment, but I’m under the gun to get them out ASAP!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018