One of the best thins about the crafting/artin community is that I’m constantly getting inspired by other blogs. One of my favorites is BalzerDesigns.com– Julie is an amazing mixed-media artist and I’ve been lucky enough to appear on her show “Scrapbook Soup” the past few years.
So I spent the better part of an afternoon doing my own version of the technique. Per her tutorial, I tried it with Distress Paints. But then I got to wondering what would happen if you used other materials– say, Vintaj Patinas or solvent-based inks like Surfacez by ColorBox.
From L-R: Distress Paints, Vintaj Patinas, and Surface re-inkers.
I found that the Distress Paints were the most matte, the Patinas were glossier, and the Surfacez allowed the metal to show through for the most shiny effect.
Then I ran them through my embossing machine.
Come to find out, you don’t even need to mount it on foam for a nice emboss or deboss. It worked great on the manilla tag, too!
I decided I really liked to accent the shine by using a layer of Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (as shown above.) It really played up the layers!
And in this card, I didn’t use the MPDM, but instead added a little more ink on top to highlight the texture.
I also tried die-cutting it and embossing it without mounting it on *anything* first. That also worked OK! I personally love this card:
And to finish off my play day, I made these earrings:
The quickie instructions:
- Mount foil tape to foam
- Color foil tape with inks or paints
- Emboss with folder of your choice
- Die cut or hand-cut into a shape you like
- Punch holes
- Top with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic Glitter formula- let dry (optional)
- Set Eyelets
- Add bead drops using a wrapped loop technique
- Add large jump ring and ear hooks
And I made you a little video, too:
What do you think? Would you give it a go? I’d love to hear your feedback!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018