File this one under “dedicated mommy.” My sister, who is very crafty and talented creatively made a birthday cake for my niece that is inspired by what else? FROZEN. Because four-year-old girls, of course!
Disclosure:some of the links below are affiliate links and I will receive a small commission from your purchase. Thank you for supporting CraftTestDummies!
My sister gets all the credit- even the photos! She started off by making 2 box cake mixes and dying the batter different colors teal and purple, since that was the favorite colors of the birthday girl. As you can see, it’s a three-layer cake, so she had enough to make the layers and some extra cupcakes. You could make ombre batter or the colors you like.
Then she bought icing from our local grocery store. Did you know that most supermarkets (with bakeries) will sell you white icing? First of all, our Giant Eagle has DELICIOUS frosting and second you save a TON of time with the prep…so you can have more time for decorating (fun) part.
She tinted 1/2 the frosting teal using a gel food coloring, and kept the rest white.
Here’s the brilliant part: after frosting the cake (sides, teal; top, white) she place edible snowflake confetti around the edge to mark of one area from the other. And lots of other edible snowflakes just for fun.
And a stack of rock candy in various colors make the “Ice Castle!” Don’t you love it?
She there is some edible “diamond dust” glitter on the top, too, for extra sparkle. And a wee bit of piping to set off the base.
Here’s the whole display- cupcakes with “ice crystals” and an Elsa figurine to set it all off.
I love it- and I love that my sister takes the time to make a fancy cake for her sweet girl.
I couldn’t help myself- I had to make my niece a little shaker card to give her. My sister couldn’t have ALL the crafty fun, right?
Do you make homemade cakes? Do you decorate them in a special way? I’d love to hear from you!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018