Hey crafty friends! In honor of Independence day, I dusted off this post from June 26 2014 and made you a quick video. We still enjoy making these for parties…and US!
The other day I saw a super cute cookie treat idea for the 4th of July on CakeSpy– you make cookies with Pop Rocks Candy and then roll the creamy filling with more Pop Rocks for a “firecraker” type of effect when you eat them. I loved the idea- but I needed to crank out my own lazy-and-cheap version.
So what’s a gal to do? Hit the Dollar Store, of course! There I picked up the basic necessities:
- craft sticks
- huge rice cereal treats
- paper baking cups
- Pop Rocks Candy
- White Chocolate Candy Melts
- Wilton Candy Melter (Optional)
First, here’s the quick 2-minute video. Step outs & text are after that!
Luckily, I had some vanilla chocolate melts and a star cookie cutter on hand, so I got 16 treats for 8 bucks. Here’s how I did it!
First, get your chocolate melts all creamy, using a double boiler or your microwave. Then, unwrap your cereal treats and cut them in half (mine were about 3 inches thick.) Then, cut out 2 stars. Use the leftover scraps and form tight balls.
Using a bit of the melted chocolate on the craft stick, insert the stick into the treat. Pop them into the fridge until the chocolate candy and the cereal treats are nice and firm. Trust me on this- it’s SO much easier!
Next, dip your stars and treat pops into the melted candy and sprinkle on the Pop Rocks. Refrigerate them again to help the chocolate set up quickly.
Now, for some of the treat pops I thought maybe we should skip the Pop Rocks and just swirl some pretty sprinkles onto the bottom. It’s a nice version for the grown-ups who have a sweet tooth, too!
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017