AT LAST!! Fall is here, that cool breeze is in the air, and there are straw bales and pumpkins and fresh apples!!! I LOVE fall. And I really love decorating for autumn, outside and inside.
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Krylon but all images and opinions are my own.
This year, I have a “new” entryway off of the kitchen post-kitchen remodel. A great excuse to decorate it, right? I had this old lantern that I picked up at a yard sale for $10.
It’s got a bit of rust and the glass panels were out of place- but miraculously intact!
First I had to do a little prep work on this cutie. I took off the glass panels by lifting up the tabs and removing them gently.
Then a good wash and scrub. You have to remove surface dirt and flaking rust so that the paint adheres well.
Now for my best friend- Krylon Cover Maxx to the rescue! This paint is serious- no priming needed, and it gives me rust protection. And this color- Bauhaus Gold- is so yummy. I like it for spring, summer AND fall!
Cover Maxx is seriously a one-step spray paint. No primer needed, inhibits the rust, dries fast and looks GREAT.
Next, it was just light coat after light coat. Because of the detail on the lantern and the many sides/angles, I probably went out and turned/sprayed this piece ten times. But the key is light, thin coats so you don’t have drips! And it dried so fast I could go out every 10 minutes. I had all afternoon for this project, so I got my garage organized in between.
Once it was done I cleaned and replaced the glass panels. PRO TIP: use gloves to protect your hands and keep the glass from smudging!
I decided to “dress it” for fall. Some silk leaves from the dollar store made an autumnal base.
Next I added a nifty battery-operated wax candle. It works on a timer so I can set it and leave it go. And it looks super-realistic at night.
Now to pull it all together with some hay bales and decorations.
However I realized that this was so cute it should be right beside the main entry door…. so I moved it over here.
Then I put it on the other side- just to see how it looks.
Am I the only one who moves things around ten times before I decide where it should go?
The lantern looks great- and that flickery candle really beckons folks in. When the snow flies I’ll bring it in and use it in my hearth room as an accent- I’ve got little pops of gold in there. And when spring rolls around, I’ll put something else in it! Not bad for a yard-sale find and a can of spray paint!
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018