I impulsively signed up for a swap on my CPS Yahoo Group, making fabric cones. They are inspired by old-fashioned May-day cones.Â Back in the day, you’d make a little decorative cone from paper, fill it with small candies or flowers, and leave it on the doorknob of someone you admired or loved.
So now they’ve grown up, and it’s an excuse for mixed-media craftistas everywhere to spend an exorbitant amount of time on a bit of frippery. Ours were inspired by Ruth Rae, but I found a slew of Etsy artists who are making them from paper or fabric or both. Check out some of these artists’ links for inspiration or to purchase:
So here’s how I made mine.Â I started with a 9″ square of cotton batting. I layered torn strips of fabric across the diagonal, starting in the middle and working my way out.Â I stitched the strips down with a variety of machine stitches built into my machine. (I’m a lazy crafter!) When the batting was covered, I added a backing fabric and stitched some more, couching ribbons and yarns down. (It effectively made a quilt sandwich!) Then I trimmed it all back down to make it square again, and finished off the edges by zig-zagging some fringy yarns to the edges. (I went around twice to cover the raw edges completely.)
To add some embellishments, I cut little squares of netting and iridescent films…and tucked in some little buttons and charms, then stitched those on. To form the cone, I just brought 2 perpendicular sides up, and whip-stitched it by hand, adding a few beads as I went. I used more yarns for the handle.
I also got inspired to use up some of the smallest bits and bobs to make an ATC tag as a gift for the hostess.
So I really enjoyed making these… fun, and quick. And a great way to use those little bits that you accumulate in the scrap bag.Â I can’t wait to see the ones I get back!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018