I’ve tried and reviewed the Wink Of Stella and Wink of Luna Markers here on CTD, and truthfully, they are lovely. They add a lovely glittery shine as a topcoat and for the holidays they are perfect.
Except I left mine behind in our big move… all my Winks, left behind.
(Cue the dramatic scream: :”NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”)
So what is a CraftTestDummy to do? Make her own, of course.
I recently reviewed the Delicata metallic ink pads, and I was particularly smitten with the White Shimmer Ink Pad. Since the Delicata is a water-based ink, I thought I’d see if I could dilute it and use it as a shimmer glaze.
YES, YOU CAN! And a whole lot more, as it turns out. And you only need:
- Metallic Stamp Pad (l like Delicata, but you can use one you have on-hand
- waterbrush or fine line paintbrush
- acrylic block or recycled clamshell plastic for a palette
And if you are REALLY fancy (which I am, I can’t lie) you can also use a dye based stamp pad like the Distress Pads to add color- so BOOM, you can make Wink of Luna markers, too- all in custom colors that you have on-hand.
Take a look!
I love that I can customize my favorite stamp pads into shimmer glazes. And as I mentioned on the video, I know that you can do a lot with mica powders or liquid inks, but why fuss around when you can use something you probably have on-hand?? I like “cheap and cheerful”, as they say!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
Linda Gorman says
Great idea!!!!! Love it!!!
Georgia Browne says
Excellent tutorial. Thx. gb
Susan G says
Wow!!! Sorry now that I’ve got a stash of Wink of Stella/Luna markers. You can be sure I won’t bother in the future. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks so much for doing the experimenting for us.
Diane Roff says
I love ALL of your videos! I can’t wait to try this one! Thank you for all of the great ideas. 🙂
Caroline B says
BRILLIANT idea, Jenny! We are all familiar with the watercolour possibilities with our Distress inks, but you connected the dots, beautifully, to create DIY shimmeriness.
Thank you for this inspiration. I am keen to give it a try.