Everyone wants to know what is the difference between Ranger’s Distress Crayons and Faber-Castell Gelatos? I am not endorsing one over the other, but you should know that there are some differences in colors, pigment content, and packaging that might influence your purchasing decision.
Disclosure: samples were provided by both companies for review purposes. Opinions are my own and based on my first-hand experience with the products.
Well, I show you here in SIX MINUTES and 10 examples of how they are the same…and different!
Here are those photos again:
So here’s my takeaways:
- Gelatos have more opaque color
- Gelatos blend more
- Gelatos work better on dark/black surfaces
- Gelatos give you more product for less money
- Gelatos have more colors and include pearls and metallics in the line
- Distress Crayons match other Distress products
- Distress Crayons apply very smoothly
- Distress Crayons have a nice easy-grip pen-style package
- Distress Crayons “move” less and layer well
- Distress Crayons remove more easily on gesso’d surfaces
And while prices vary, on Amazon.com 18 Distress Crayons sell for $37, while 12 Gelatos sell for $19.99. That makes them approximately $3 each for Distress, while Gelatos are a thrifty $1.60 each. And there is more product inside! So if you are thrifty, Gelatos may be the best bet for you- but if you are a Distress fan, you are going to want these colors in your craft box!
What do you think? Which product is right for you?
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017