Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set UP & First Project
It doesn’t seem like it’s been that long since I reviewed the LAST “new” Cricut Machine- heck, the Explore Air 2 just came out last fall. But here we are, just under a year later with a NEW new machine, the Cricut Maker.
This one has some striking changes, and I felt like it was worth my time and money to buy this machine and review it for you.
Note: this machine was purchased with my own money and is not sponsored in any way but Cricut/Provocraft.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means at no extra cost to you, if you purchase something through one of those links, I will receive a small commission that helps pay for things like this machine!
So let’s dig in! First, I did an unboxing video. This video shows you what is in the box and how it’s packaged. For some, this is an important part of the buying experience. This was edited down from a Facebook Live video, by the way. You can join me at Facebook for more videos that are “live.”
What sets the Cricut Maker apart from the other machines is as much as what it doesn’t have as what it does!
The most notable new addition is the rotary blade:
From what I understand, they basically had to reingineer this machine from the ground up to get that little rotary blade working right.
Also in the “new addition” category, there is also a USB charging port and long slot on the top for placing your tablet or smartphone.
But the big deal to me is what the Cricut Maker is MISSING:
- No cartridge port- this machine is internet/software dependent
- No dial- all of your decisions about cutting (blade depth, pressure, speed) ar also done digitally through the software
The Cricut Maker has officially become a clone of the Silhouette!
I made a video of the set-up required for this all-new digital version of the Cricut, and also show you the first cutting and drawing in real-time so you can see and hear how it works! I also cover rotary cutting fabric with the new rotary blade, drawing, and paper cutting with the fine blade tip.
Have a look:
So far, so good. I’m interested using the Cricut Maker to delve into more fabric cutting, foam, wood and trying out the new craft blade when it becomes available.
What are your thoughts on the new machine? I’d love to hear from you so leave me a comment!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017