Recently my family and I took a trip to London. We certainly wanted to send home postcards to our families, but somehow sending store-bought cards seemed really unoriginal. So we decided to make home-made postcards!
We started out by purchasing the Strathmore watercolor postcard blanks- but really, you could just cut your own (4 inches by 6 inches is standard.) I brought a fine-line Bic marker for a bold line, and the Sharpie Pen for a thinner line. I also brought some travel watercolor kits to test out along with some water brushes. (By the way, I’ll have a comparison of travel watercolor kits soon.)
Later on, I had them review their photos and make a sketch in pencil. Once they were satisfied, they outlined it in permanent marker and then use the watercolors to fill in some color. Once it was dry, they addressed and stamped the postcards and filled in details about what they’d chosen to draw…then off to the post office!
Now, admittedly, my 6 year old had a better time with this than my older boy. My girl loves to make art and hasn’t really reached the age of self-criticism yet. My son, however, needed encouragement and prodding- reassurance that his art was “good enough.” And looking at that rendering of the Westminster tower, don’t you agree?
So there it is- a great excuse to spend some time really LOOKING as you travel, and some amazing art to send home! Would you try this with your kids? More importantly, would you have the courage to try it yourself?
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017