What’s better than visiting New York City? Visiting a craft store in New York City! Last month while we were visiting, I found out that the Ink Pad was only a few blocks from my husbands’ new apartment. I ditched the family for a few hours and headed over to check it out!
So, side story. I walked in and started checking things out. After the initial, “Hi, is there anything you are looking for/Can I help you?” greeting, one of the shop keepers said to me, “I feel like I know you.” I responded that it was my first time in the store. THEN he said, “Do I know you from YouTube?” I was OUTED! Come to find out, he knows my YouTube channel and watches my reviews. Cool, right?
I had heard of the Ink Pad before, as friend/colleague Julie Fei-Fan Balzer teaches there. (And carries a LOT of her stencils!) Seth Apter teaches there too. So for a small store, they carry great supplies and pull in amazing teachers.
I asked what the locals come for- and Justin (the aforementioned shopkeeper) told me that it was mostly mixed media and card-making; although they do sell NYC-themed stamps and supplies to tourists, as well.
To be honest… after that, I forgot to take pictures. I chatted with Barb, Justin and Michael...and it was SO fun to chat about products, the industry, and creating. I snagged these photos from Justin’s blog, jkcardsonline. (By the way, he is an amazing designer and his blog is great to follow because he shares both the sketches he uses AND shows how he interpreted it. And if you are on Instagram, he shares a card a day! No kidding.
Now, these photos are pretty rough because it was HOT and I was in full-on “tourist mode”- no makeup, frizzy hair, etc. Just goes to show that it’s a small world and I should always be ready for a photo-op!
Ok..so now for the fun part- I went shopping. And I made you a little video of my haul:
I have had a lot of fun traveling, but to be honest I’m glad to be home and back in the studio. School will start next week and that means I’ll get to play with all of the fun new products I purchased. Hooray for crafty time!
Do you shop for crafts when you travel? I’d love to hear from you.
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018