So since Hawaii is known for their quilts, what trip to the Big Island would be complete without a trip to a local Quilt Shop. (By the way, if you’d like to see my trip to the craft store & scrapbooking store and/or the bead shop, just click those links too.)
The aforementioned quilt shop was right next to the bead store (very convenient) and the name- Quilt Passions– very apropos.
We were there during the Kona Coffee Festival (hence the sign) but the shop keepers were also busy preparing for the next wave of cruise ship traffic.
You want a peek inside?
They had the most mouth-watering selection of batiks I’ve ever seen. And I am a SUCKER for batiks!
They also had an impressive selection of marine/ocean fabric, as wells as “hawaiian prints.”
But what really made me drool was the locally-designed quilts and wallhanging kits. What a lovely idea- to purchase a kit to sew when you get home as the ultimate souvenir.
And some of these quilts- like the large leaf above- where very modern and fresh. And the use of the hand-dyed fabrics and batiks is superb!
How about a little reverse-applique to get you going? I really love this!
The range of projects from beginner to advanced is impressive. This one spoke to me because we actually visited a seahorse farm. Yes, that exists!
I couldn’t resist leaving without my own project. I purchased a pre-cut kit, and my daughter bought a little sewing project kit, too.
The staff was so nice and friendly- I just wish we’d had more time to stay and chat (and shop) and maybe even take a class. It’ certainly on my list if we get to visit again. And I’m looking forward to breaking out my machine and sewing up my souvenir!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018