As some of you know, I LOVE to travel. Seriously love it. And I often am not picky at all about where I go, as long as I get to see the sights and eat the food….and visit a few craft stores or handmade markets along the way!
This month our whole family took a trip to Hawaii’s Big Island (also called Hawaii) and we spent 5 days taking it all in. And one of the sights (for me at least) was a few craft stores. (I’ll also talk about my trip to the quilt/fabric stores and the bead shop, but that’s for another post. I have links below for those.)
Today I want to share with you my trip to Island Scrapbooking and Ben Franklin!
Now, I have to start by saying that we don’t have any Ben Franklin Crafts in my part of Ohio, so I’m pretty unfamiliar with them. But I was really impressed with the store in Hilo. They have six locations scattered throughout the islands.
I was happy to see many familiar brands, such as Spellbinders, We R Memory Keepers, and Sizzix.
But I also saw products that catered to the Asian population there, too. You don’t see this in Ohio!
I also saw some Hawaii-specific products for locals to craft with and tourists to eat up with a spoon!
And this particular Ben Franklin had a special “Bead Shop” in the front section. Do they all have that?
Lots of nice beads and findings, and some more familiar products!
AND… they had an area for local crafters to see their wares. I love this idea!
After my trip to Ben Franklin, I headed across the street to Island Scrapbooking.
I love small businesses, so I usually try and spend my cash there. I chatted with the owner, who pointed out some local lines of rubber stamps that were Asian- and Hawaiian-influenced. (Sorry- I forgot to take photos!) But I did make some purchases. Want to see?
I’m looking forward to making some fun things with my new goodies- stay tuned! And I’ll be sharing my trip to the quilt shop, as well in the next few weeks.
Check out other posts:
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018