Pretty soon mi familia and I are heading off on an adventure to sunnier climes. Here in northern Ohio, things are getting a bit chilly, so we going to have one last flirtation with warmer weather before we hunker down with our winter crafting.
I used to snap all kinds of pics when we were on vacation, and take a journal- expecting that when I got home I’d go on some big scrapbooking bender and come out with extensive photobooks, filled with pages of journalling….
And then reality hit. That’s NOT the way I work! Better to take a travel journal, make notes as I go, tuck in little brochures or tickets, then add a few special photos after the fact. In this manner, the pressure is off- I can make my notes in the moment and backfill a little when I get home. And it’s a better account of the trip, too. Less glossy, more authentic.
So, that being said, I’ve got to pack my travel crafting kit! I need a small-but -versatile kit to take in my packed luggage:
- Travel journal (make your own HERE or purchase a Wirebound Sketchbook)
- Glue Stick
- Scissors (this year I’m taking my Quick Snippers!)
- Water color pencils (this time it’s my new faves, Derwent Inktense Pencils
- Water brush-you know, the hollow pens with a brush tip that hold water. Read my comparison of Waterbrushes here. Royal Brush Aqua-flo Waterbrushes area great deal!
- Mechanical pencils
- Permanent Markers (Taking my fine-line Bic Mark-its and my MUST HAVE Pitt Artist Pens – Wallet Set of All 4 Pen Styles in Black
- Pencil sharpener
- Zip it all up in a pouch!
I’d also suggest a piece of parchment or freezer paper, so that if you are gluing things down or doing a wash, you can protect your other pages.
With these basic supplies, you can sketch, color, and alter. Part of the fun is using what you find on your trip to embellish your book and tell your story!
A note on I like to make my own travel journals with watercolor paper. It holds up well to all media, and if you do it right, there are little nooks and crannies to tuck goodies into. But that’s a post for a different day….maybe tomorrow, even!
Disclosure: some links above are affiliate links and if you make a purchase you are supporting CraftTestDummies.com. Thank you!
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017