Last July when I was at the Cleveland Craft Coalition Show, I had the pleasure to meet Stephanie of Little Lion Designs. Her fabric collage pieces where colorful and delightful to behold, and when I found out that she uses her artwork to raise awareness, I knew I had to learn more about her and share her story with you.
So, first and foremost, Stephanie Urban is a mom. She gave birth to a baby girl, Kaia, May 30th 2009. Kaia was born with Congenital Hear Defects (CHD) and needed surgery to repair her heart. Despite fighting bravely, she succumbed on July 2. She was 32 days old. She was a little lion.
Stephanie, who is a graphic designer and all-around creative person, channeled her grief and loss into making art pieces from reclaimed/recycled fabric. Soon, she realized that people really responded to her art work- and that it was the perfect outlet to both earn a living (she’d lost her job after Kaia passed) and to awareness of CHD. (By the way, you should read her story in her own words– it so touching!)
So now you know her backstory. But the other side of Steph’s story is her amazing art! While she uses recycled and reclaimed fabric, it is still vibrant, colorful, and filled with joy. (Don’t even THINK the work “vintage!”)Â The lines of her art swoop and swirl, and fairly leap off the canvas with glee. Take a look at some of her artwork as it was displayed at the show:
Isn’t it marvelous? Such beautiful work form such lovely person. If you’d like to see what she’s got for sale, make sure you check out her Etsy shop, and go visit her Facebook Fan page. She’ll keep you updated on local shows and events, too!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018