(Note: there is a District 9 spoiler here…but just a little one….)
OK, it’s a Sunday, and I just have to have a little rant here. Recently I’ve seen both a movie and a TV show where crafty folk are getting a bad rap and are portrayed as simpletons or just crazy.
(Well, I’ll admit to being a little crazy, but really people!)
So my first example is Glee, a new Fox show about Glee club. The wife of the Glee club director is…well… off. And she has a craft room. So SEE??? She’s a little crazy because she likes CRAFTS!!!
Then I went to see District 9. The man character, Wikus, is well….simple. Dense. And his idea of showing his wife how much he cares is making her little gew-gaws that are about on the same level as some of my kindergardener’s crafts. SEE????Â People who do crafts are unskilled and pathetic!
What is going on here? What happened to honoring crafters, like in “How to Make An American Quilt?” Now, there, the womenÂ all had their own issues, but the respect was there.
I guess I’m feeling the need to stand up for myself and my fellow crafters… don’t let the media make you believe that you are odd for crafting…
Anyone else feeling this way out there???
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017