I love craft punches. With a simple squeeze, you can cut shapes out of different materials that you’d never be able to cut by hand. So to find a punch that actually punches three different shapes that you can layer is like having three punches in one. So meet the Layering Punch by EK Tools of EK Success Brands.
Let’s take a closer look. Here’s how it’s described on the website:
The EK Tools Snowflake Layering Punch creates 3 unique shapes from just one tool! Simply choose your design using the selector and punch. Layer the punches for a dimensional embellishment or use separately. Punched size approximately 1.5″.
Put the palm of your hand over the foil design, cover with other hand and punch. A clicking sound is made once all the layers have been punched through.
It’s always a little easier to show you than to explain, so I did make a video showing you just how the punch works. But don’t worry, I still have the sample swatches in photo form for you, too.
Here are the three different settings- from the top, just the outline of the shape, (in this case, it’s a 1.5 inch circle.) If you move the switch over, it’ll cut out the circle AND the silhouette of the snowflake (seen in the middle row). And if you move the switch into the third position, you get the outline of the shape and the detail inside the snowflake. Huzzah!
So now let’s take a look at the swatches I tried.
From the left: Vellum, cork paper, text weight paper, and the new Jolee’s artisan paper.
From left: cereal box cardboard, craft foam, watercolor paper, mylar paper, mulberry paper.
I had fun playing with the punches- I made a slew of cards. On the first one, I just used the snowflake bits to embellish this holiday card.
In this last one, I really layered it up and used both the positive and the negative portions of the punch. This isn’t a cheap punch- the MSRP is $21.99- but you do get multiple options. And I’m sure that there are some good deals and specials and coupons and such, so it eases the sticker shock a bit. (You might even find some good deals in our affiliate store below.)
I’m already looking into getting a few more for my stash. What do you think? I’d love to hear your opinions below!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017