Ever see a cool craft project and go, “I really want to make this cool crafty goodness, but DANG, it needs to go outside. I wish there was a Mod Podge for that!” Well, my dearies, the Mod Podge fairy has heeded your call and YES, there is a Mod Podge for that! Enter Mod Podge “Outdoor.”
- Itâ€™s a glue, a finish, and a sealer
- It has a mild, distinctive odor.
- Has a tendency to show brushmarks. This formulation a little more than most.
- Can be tacky to the touch when it dries. (But a quick coat of clear acrylic spray remedies this.)
- Non-toxic, safe for the kids.
- Works on any porous surface- paper, wood, cardboard, chipboard, fabric, cork, and more!
- Starts off opaque, but dries clear.
There is however a BIG difference with MP Outdoor- it’s the consistency. While the others are like a thick honey, Outdoor is like paste. Really. I picked up some on my paintbrush and tipped it to the side. It just hung there:
I decided to work on a “Welcome” plaque in honor of my hubs & my impending anniversary. I thought it would be cute outside the back door.
I started by using regular MP to layer the background paper (sheet music), and then layering the images and monogram (I’ll share a more fully realized step by step tutorial another day.) I added some Shimmer MP to the initial to make it….um….shimmery, and then got busy topcoating the whole shebang.
Like a mentioned, MPO is thick. Like, super-duper thick. I started with foam brush, but with all of the layers I needed to switch to a “good” acrylic brush and use a very light hand to avoid copious streaking.
Also, another thing to be aware of: even after I’d let it dry for 24 hours, it still felt really tacky to the touch. (Sometimes this happens with regular MP, too.) So I busted out the Krylon triple-thick UV protecting spray, and gave it two light coats. Viola!!! Tacky feeling gone, and yet another protective coat against fading from the sun.
So here’s my final project:
Now, since I’ve just hung it up, I can’t tell you how it’ll take the weather- yet. But I promise I’ll follow up and let you know if it’s survived an Ohio winter!
So, I need to remind you again to check outÂ PlaidOnline forÂ more about the full Mod Podge line and itâ€™s history. And of COURSE go holla atÂ Amy of Â ModPodgeRocks fameâ€¦sheâ€™s always got great projects especially featuring Mod Podge Outdoor. Sheâ€™s generous, too- sheâ€™s sponsoring a GIVEAWAY!
Just leave a comment on this post telling us YOU would use Outdoor PM, and weâ€™ll draw a lucky winner to receive some to try out! Weâ€™ll draw a name on Monday, 10/18/10. (And hereâ€™s a little insider tip- weâ€™re giving Mod Podge goodies away all week!!! Come back every day for a chance to win!)
Thanks for reading, but this giveaway is CLOSED. Please read HERE for the winners!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018