While Upholstery Paint is not necessarily at “craft product,” crafty DIY’ers and home decor enthusiasts need to know about this product from Simply Spray. Originally designed for refreshing the upholstery in cars, RV’s, and boats- but I read that it works just as well for cushions, umbrellas, and other water-permeable fabrics.
Good thing, too because my studio had a couple of items that seriously needed a make-over! I started off with this old lamp, which used to be in my son’s nursery.
Since the lampshade is fabric (backed in plastic) I thought it would be a good candidate for and “Upholstery Spray” makeover! I shook up the can well, snapped off the safety tab, and positioned the shade in a cardboard box to protect from overspray. I gave a couple of test-sprays, and found that the paint was relatively thin/ watery (as compared to spray paint, for example), and sprayed with little spattering. The paint saturated the shade in just a few passes.
Here’s what I got with just one moderate coat.
So then I moved on to a HUGE eyesore- my office chair! It’s ugly and a little stained where my cat used to sleep on it.
Ok, so I learned a valuable lesson here- if your upholstery is DIRTY, you need to clean that up first. The spray adheres to the fabric differently if there’s dirt or grease on it. (Well, DUH, but I kinda was cutting corners. Don’t do what I did!)
I’m not one to give up easily, so I have it another full coat. HA! This was better:
Another good thing to keep in mind is that some colors are hard to cover. And black, to look really good, needs to be DARK…otherwise it just looks like a black t-shirt that’s been though the was tooÂ many times. So my rule of thumb is expect to put on 2-3 coats.
All in all, I’m thinking that Upholstery Spray will be a boon to folks who love to upcycle and recycle- now you can change the color of a cushion or shade in a snap. And did I mention that it comes in Black, Brite Red, Orange, Burgundy, Hunter Green, Navy Blue, Periwinkle, Plum and Saddle Brown? Yup. And you can see the full color swatches on the site, as well asÂ handy-dandy video on using the product!
What would YOU give an “Upholstery Spray Make-Over?” Oh…..and remember that lamp? Well, here’s how it turned out:
And if you’d like to check out an additional project, go visit Vicki O’Dell’s Back Rest Spruce-Up featuring Simply Spray products.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018