A while back I reviewed the Basic Quilling Kit by Quilled Creations and I felt I was ready for a new paper-crafting challenge: comb quilling. The difference in this technique is that you use a comb (kind of like a hair pick) to wrap paper around and make consistent, evenly-spaced loops.
The kit contains the quilling comb, paper quilling strips, and a book with techniques and ideas. I decided to go through the book and try all of them. I started with the “one-sided combing technique.” You wrap the paper over the top rung of the comb, then down and around, forming a loop. You must dab a bit of glue every time you wrap around the top, but the result are lovely loops that overlap just a bit:
The second technique is the “Alternating sides.” It builds of off the firs technique, but this time your wrap on both sides instead of just one. This creates symmetrical components that can be made into leaves, stars, flowers, crosses, and more.
All of these make wonderful additions to your basic quilling techniques, and expand your repertoire of designs.
Just like traditional quilling, the art of twirling and wrapping paper is very soothing and zen-like. It’s an economical craft (this kit is under $13.00) and it goes a long way.While it’s not a craft I’d take to the ball field, it is portable and as long as you have a flat surface, you can set up and put it away easily. (And it doesn’t take up much storage space, either. A plus!)
If I’d have to find a drawback- which is a stretch- it would be the little bit of mess involved with the glue. I have a tendency to be a little messy and I found that I kept getting glue crumbles on my left hand and quilling comb. Fortunately, white glue is the easiest to clean up and a damp towel cleaned up the metal comb in a snap.
All in all, I highly recommend quilling as a craft and this kit- something fun, success-oriented, fun for the family, and limited only by your imagination!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018