A while back I reviewed the Basic Quilling Kit by Quilled Creations and I felt I was ready for a new paper-crafting challenge: comb quilling. The difference in this technique is that you use a comb (kind of like a hair pick) to wrap paper around and make consistent, evenly-spaced loops.
The kit contains the quilling comb, paper quilling strips, and a book with techniques and ideas. I decided to go through the book and try all of them. I started with the “one-sided combing technique.” You wrap the paper over the top rung of the comb, then down and around, forming a loop. You must dab a bit of glue every time you wrap around the top, but the result are lovely loops that overlap just a bit:
The second technique is the “Alternating sides.” It builds of off the firs technique, but this time your wrap on both sides instead of just one. This creates symmetrical components that can be made into leaves, stars, flowers, crosses, and more.
All of these make wonderful additions to your basic quilling techniques, and expand your repertoire of designs.
Just like traditional quilling, the art of twirling and wrapping paper is very soothing and zen-like. It’s an economical craft (this kit is under $13.00) and it goes a long way.While it’s not a craft I’d take to the ball field, it is portable and as long as you have a flat surface, you can set up and put it away easily. (And it doesn’t take up much storage space, either. A plus!)
If I’d have to find a drawback- which is a stretch- it would be the little bit of mess involved with the glue. I have a tendency to be a little messy and I found that I kept getting glue crumbles on my left hand and quilling comb. Fortunately, white glue is the easiest to clean up and a damp towel cleaned up the metal comb in a snap.
All in all, I highly recommend quilling as a craft and this kit- something fun, success-oriented, fun for the family, and limited only by your imagination!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017