When I received a sample of the LB CollectionÂ® Wool Stainless Steel Yarn from Lion Brand Yarn, I immediately fell in love with the packaging and presentation. Plus, with such an odd name, I couldnâ€™t wait to try it out and see what it could do (and how it would treat my hands). After testing it alone, then incorporating it into several different kinds of projects, Iâ€™m pleased to report that the yarn was a ton of fun to work with, performed beyond my expectations, and left my skin completely free of scratches and irritation.
The LB CollectionÂ® Wool Stainless Steel Yarn is a lace weight yarn that is 75% wool and 25% stainless steel. It is part of the LB CollectionÂ®, Lion Brand Yarnâ€™s line of affordable premium yarns that are available exclusively through the Lion Brand Yarn catalog or website. It is comprised of 2-ply wool wrapped around 1-ply stainless steel, which, while adding strength, also gives it a slight sparkle in the light. Each cone contains 14 grams (273 yards/244 meters) of yarn and retails for $10.00 US.
According to the Lion Brand Yarn website:
LB CollectionÂ® Wool Stainless Steel Yarn
Article # 485
Part of our collection of affordable, luxury fibers, this unique Wool Stainless Steel yarn creates unique pieces that keep their shape. Strong, yet lacy, it’s great for ethereal wraps or beautiful original jewelry. Combine it with other yarns to add texture and strength to sweaters and accessories.
Gauge: Variable gauge is acceptable for all knit and crochet.
Product Care Instructions: Items made from this yarn may be laundered through the use of water, detergent or soap and gentle hand manipulation. No bleach product may be used. A machine dryer may not be used. Item may not be smoothed or finished with an iron.
2. Thanks to the stainless steel strand woven into the yarn, you can make detailed lace stitches and arrange them by hand without needing to block with water. This would be great for holiday ornaments or knit and crochet work that will be hung or displayed!
3. The yarn holds spirals and bends until straightened by hand. Once straightened, no visible kinks or curls remain in the yarn. When unraveling stitches, it is easy to smooth the yarn back into its original shape.
10. Although the yarn is reinforced by stainless steel, it is flexible and soft to the touch. It doesnâ€™t feel rough against the skin, and could be incorporated into some wearables to add shape.
What I didnâ€™t love:
1. The yarn is strong once knitted, crocheted, or doubled and twisted, but itâ€™s fairly easy to break a single strand. (It is lace weight, after all.) Because of the shimmer and color, itâ€™s tempting to use one strand for jewelry making, but it isn’t quite strong enough.
2. As of right now, only four dark colors are available: gray-blue, black, dark magenta, and burgundy. Iâ€™d love to see more colorsâ€”especially white and greenâ€”because this yarn would be perfect for making holiday decorations and embellishing embroidery projects.
I enjoyed trying out the LB CollectionÂ® Wool Stainless Steel Yarn, and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was work with. Beyond traditional yarn craft, it can be used in projects ranging from jewelry-making, home dÃ©cor, and art projects to paper embellishment, scrapbooking, and decoupage. I found it to be an adaptable, high-quality product with a very reasonable price point.
Disclosure: Samples provided for review, but my opinions are honest and my own!
- Craft Tool Review: AccuQuilt GO! Baby Fabric Cutter - November 25, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Clover Weaving Sticks - September 17, 2013
- CHA Summer 2013: Tools for Custom Fiber and Fabric Projects - August 14, 2013
- CHA Summer 2013 Booth Love – Haley’s Favorite: Bottle Cutting Inc. - August 3, 2013
- Craft Book Review: Crochet One-Skein Wonders - June 18, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Clover USA Pin ‘n Stow - April 23, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Nancy’s Hobo Tote Collection Trace ‘n Create Bag Templates from Clover USA - March 26, 2013
- Craft Product Review: Boye Artisan Tools CrochetMaster Plus Crochet Hook Set - February 18, 2013
- Craft Product Review: Christmas Woolens Ornament Kit from Rachel’s of Greenfield - December 13, 2012
- Craft Product Review: Self-Finishing Needlepoint Coaster Kit from Jenny Henry Designs - November 19, 2012