I have more pairs of scissors than I can count. Paper scissors, pinking shears, embroider scissors, kid’s scissors. I even have my “special” fabric scissors that I use for my heavier-duty cutting. However, none of them hold a candle to the Fiskars Tailor Shears that I just got!
First of all, they’re made by Fiskars, which in and of itself ensures quality. (I mean, when you think scissors, you think “Fiskars,” right?) Secondly, these shears, made specifically for sewing/tailoring, are a whopping 10″ long. Take a look:
These bad boys mean business. The loops are large and easy to fit your hand into, the action is easy to open and close, and your can feel the precision machining of the blade. There is something so satisfying about the “snick-snick” of the blades when they open and close.
So on to the cutting! I started out a pillow case that I’m making into sleep shorts for my son. I folded it twice to go through 4 layers of fabric. It cut with ease.
Next, I cut through some pre-quilted fabric. I made some purses out of this material, and found that with my usual scissors I had some hesitating on the quilted bits. These heavy-duty shears snicked through it in little time.
I was surprised how quickly the job went, and without a lot of stress on my hands. (I’m known for being partial to spring-assist scissors because my hands get tired quickly.) However the long length of this blade really cuts the workload down: longer blades, fewer snips!
So, when Fiskar’s calls these their “Finest” scissors, what does that mean? Well, this is what I pulled from their website:
When it comes to cutting fabric, â€œOur Finest Scissorsâ€ are unmatched. Proudly crafted in Finland, all of these scissors begin with blades made from specially formulated Swedish stainless steel. The blades are then ground with a proprietary technique to produce a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip, essential for all your fabric-cutting needs. Smooth, ergonomically designed handles add comfort, sensitivity and control beyond other scissors on the market. Best of all, each of our sewing and quilting scissors features a lifetime warranty, guaranteed to provide you with the very best cutting performance. Check out the complete selection of â€œOur Finest Scissorsâ€ to find the scissors right for your needs.
Lifetime warranty? I’m down with that! Also, here are some of the highlights of the Tailor’s Shears, according to the website:
Our Tailor Shears feature extra-long, heavy-duty blades ideal for cutting patterns for sewing projects. Theyâ€™re also the perfect choice for long, clean cuts through all your toughest fabrics and materials. In addition, a bent-handle design helps keep difficult material flat and prevent twisting while you cut. Like all of our very best sewing and quilting scissors, our Tailor Shears feature blades ground with a proprietary technique and ergonomically designed handles for cutting performance, control and comfort other scissors canâ€™t match.
- Ideal for cutting patterns for sewing projects and a variety of heavy-duty material
- Proprietary blade grinding technique provides a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Specially formulated Swedish stainless steel blades will not rust or dull
- Innovative blade design provides superior cutting performance with less force
- Ergonomic handles are sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing comfort, sensitivity and control
- Larger handle loops fit hands of all sizes
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 10″
- Proudly made in Finland based on a 360-year tradition of craftsmanship
- Lifetime warranty
So, what are these scissors NOT good for? Well, because of the size, they are best for long cuts with straight lines or gentle curves. I would not cut out anything small or dainty with them- after all, they have other scissors for that job!
The next question I’d ask is: are they worth the dough? At an MSRP of $39.99 USD, they are an investment. But if you can buy them at a retailer that offers a 40% off coupon, they are more than worth it. And let’s remember that lifetime guarantee!
As a side note, because September is National Sewing Month, Fiskars is have a great giveaway, too. The challenge is to make a great project for under $15 USD, and post a pic to their Facebook wall. You could win a pair of these fabulous shears AND a Wal-Mart Gift certificate. Click on over to read all of the details and enter to win. Good Luck!
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017