OK, so I sew. Usually on the machine, but occasionally I do some hand-work. And for some reason I am captivated by yo-yo’s. I was out at JoAnn’s the other day, ran across the Clover Heart Yo-Yo Maker, and got sucked in. Since I’d never made them before – any type of yo-yo – I thought it would be great to buy the tool and check it out.
First off, had to say that the instructions were great! They included pictures, multiple languages, and step-by-step written instructions. I read them thoroughly, got all set, and then got sidetracked. Two days later when I picked up the project, I’d obviously FORGOT what I’d read, and did it wrong the first time! Really though, it was me.
The first one I made was out of a soft quilters’ weight cotton. No problems whatsoever. I stitched around, popped the inner disc out, and drew up the two threads. Presto! a cute little heart! I didn’t press it at all, and it still went right into shape.
The second one I made was a heavier-weight silk. (Really. For those super-posh items!) Also good! I expected maybe the stiffness of the silk would cause it to lose it’s shape- or maybe not turn under as well, but it also turned out super-cute. I also have to admit that on the first one I didn’t really get the disc to “pop” into the tray right, and it was a little slippery to handle. The second time, I got that sucker to snap right in, and it was a breeze.
Now I’m thinking that this was so easy, I need to try the flower shapes, too.
So what to make with heart shaped yo-yo’s? Give a look:
Or why not:
- Make a garland of them to drape over a doorframe?
- String rows of them to make a curtain overlay?
- Stitch or hot-glue them to the edge of a basket?
- Bead one up and make a cute pin?
- Attach to a barrette for your favorite little (or big) girl?
- Add a few to a plain clutch to gussy up a handbag?
- Stick one on a recycled tie purse!!!! (Still got one more to make for my swap!)
I think I’m going to try to make a mini-quilt wallhanging to decorate for V-day….for next year!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018