I’m pretty handy with a crochet hook, and Tunisian crochet (also known as afghan crochet) has been at the top of my must-try list for months. So, when I spotted the Boye Artisan Tools CrochetMaster Plus Crochet Hook Set in the Simplicity booth at both CHA and VOGUEknitting LIVE, it was love at first (and second) sight. The hooks are absolutely gorgeous—the warmth of the wooden hooks look fantastic next to the shine of the metal handles—and I jumped at the chance to give the whole set a test run!
According to the Simplicity site:
- Nickel-Plated Handles & Natural Wood Hook Heads To Quickly Glide Over Yarn
- Handy Carrying Case That Keeps All Components Organized
- Hook Sizes F to Q (3.75mm-15mm)
- Two 3″, Two 5″, One 9″, One 12″ & One 18″ Flexible Cables That Do Not Kink
- Two Joins So The Cable Length Options Are Endless
- Smooth Joins That Will Not Snag
- Two Natural Wood Caps So The Set Can Be Used For Traditional Crochet
- Two Keys For Easy Tightening Of The Cables To The Hooks & Stoppers, Allowing Hooks To Be Converted From Traditional to Afghan Crochet Hooks
30 piece set.
Retail price: $149.99
What I loved:
1. Attaching the cables to the hooks was simple and intuitive.
2. The cable keys made the cables easy to tighten. The cables held securely until the cable key was used to loosen them again.
3. The set included 2 cable extenders, which allowed for great flexibility in length for Tunisian crochet.
4. The handles were smooth, had a nice weight and feel to the hand, and had deep, sharp hooks that grabbed the yarn well.
5. Two wooden caps were included so that each hook could be converted into a traditional crochet hook.
6. The cables and connectors were smooth, felt seamless, and did not snag or catch the yarn, even when stitches were tight.
7. The hooks were packaged in a durable case with extra room for storage.
What I didn’t love:
1. The hooks weren’t labeled with sizes and the set did not include a size gauge. I had to dig out my own gauge to make sure that I was selecting the correct size. (Not the end of the world, but having a gauge included in the set would have been nice.)
Note: I didn’t have any issues with the hooks and accessories that were actually included in the set.
The tools included in the Boye Artisan Tools CrochetMaster Plus Crochet Hook Set were high quality, versatile, and met all of my expectations for crochet hooks. I loved that the set included such a wide range of hook sizes, and that the wooden caps allowed each hook to be transformed from a Tunisian crochet hook into a traditional crochet hook. (As a gal living in an NYC shoebox apartment, it’s wonderful to find one easy-to-store set that meets the majority of my crochet needs!) I’m looking forward to using these hooks for many years to come, and would definitely recommend this set to anyone who crochets.
Disclosure: Samples provided for review, but my opinions are honest and my own!
- Craft Tool Review: AccuQuilt GO! Baby Fabric Cutter - November 25, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Clover Weaving Sticks - September 17, 2013
- CHA Summer 2013: Tools for Custom Fiber and Fabric Projects - August 14, 2013
- CHA Summer 2013 Booth Love – Haley’s Favorite: Bottle Cutting Inc. - August 3, 2013
- Craft Book Review: Crochet One-Skein Wonders - June 18, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Clover USA Pin ‘n Stow - April 23, 2013
- Craft Tool Review: Nancy’s Hobo Tote Collection Trace ‘n Create Bag Templates from Clover USA - March 26, 2013
- Craft Product Review: Boye Artisan Tools CrochetMaster Plus Crochet Hook Set - February 18, 2013
- Craft Product Review: Christmas Woolens Ornament Kit from Rachel’s of Greenfield - December 13, 2012
- Craft Product Review: Self-Finishing Needlepoint Coaster Kit from Jenny Henry Designs - November 19, 2012