Mica Fragments are just that- colored flakes of mica that are much chunkier than glitter. Mica is a natural, heat-resistant form of sheet silicate minerals that fragments easily into layers.
Lucky for us, they are also light weight, have some shine to them, and can be colored easily. (And also ground up and put into paints/shimmer sprays etc to add shine.)
Now, there is another product I’m including today- Shaved Ice– but it’s NOT a mica product. It’s a plastic iridescent flake that can be used very similarly, though. Both products can be:
- glued onto a surface
- embedded into resin
- attached & mixed with embossing powders
- tinted with alcohol inks.
Very versatile and fun stuff, in fact. For my first project, I used The Best Glue Ever (a “dries tacky” adhesive”) to attach Shaved Ice to a painted tag.
I’m also happy to share that Shaved Ice is both soft and lightweight. Great for that bubbly iridescence with out weight or sharp edges. Win!
Next, I played with the Bronzed Mica Fragments. Also lightweight, they really don’t have any rough edges.
Next, I wanted to tint some of the Shaved Ice and Mica Fragments with some Pinata Inks so that they were blue. It was easy: I just put some of the fragments into a plastic bag, added a few drops of the alcohol inks, then mushed them. No inky fingers!
After working on the tag, I realized I had a little pile of Mica Fragments, Shaved Ice, and embossing powder. So I dumped it all into an extra-large bottle cap and let it melt on my cup warmer.
I’m going to keep playing with the Shaved Ice and Mica Fragments, but I thought I’d share it as a “craft fave” today because it’s a great addition to your papercrafting and mixed-media toolbox.Â They retail on the Stampendous website for $4.99 a bottle that holds about 1/2 ounce, but as I mentioned the product is light and goes a fair way.
Here’s my final 3 tags.
Feel free to comment if you’ve used Frantage Fragments or have questions!
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017