Let me start by stating the obvious: I love recycling and making crafts out of objects that are headed for the trash. So when I heard of Tracie Lampe’s book “Upcycled Accessories: 25 Projects Using Repurposed Plastic” published by North Light BooksI was half sold before I even opened the cover.
Let’s start with a few facts about the book before we begin. From the publisher:
Fused and Re-used
Whether youâ€™re a sewing enthusiast or an eco-superhero, Upcycled Accessories shows you how to upcycle disposable products into fashionable must-haves! Learn the basics of fusing plastic, then sew together colorful wallets, personalized journals and collaged tote bags. Finally, incorporate creative embellishing techniques to whip up one-of-a-kind plastic projects!
Upcycled Accessories features:
- Â· 25 funky fused-plastic projects for all experience levels that use inexpensive, readily available materials
- Â· Embellishing techniques for incorporating crayon shavings, permanent markers, fabric appliquÃ© and much more
- Â· Tips for incorporating more than just left-over shopping bagsâ€”everything from food packages to tablecloths can be upcycled!
Fuse. Sew. Help save the planet!
The book is soft-covered with a traditional flat spine and has lots of full color photos on glossy pages. The book is laid out in Techniques (12 different ways to achieve different decorative effects), Projects (25, of course!), a Gallery, Templates, and an Index.
I started off with my pile of plastic bags and got ready to fuse!
Following the directions for basic fusing, I prepped my bags…
If you follow the directions, the bags shrink slightly and bubble a bit. I was completely surprised that I smelled no fumes at all. Oh, and you really want to follow the directions. I set my iron too high and got this:
So I decided to work on a coaster- the directions are super-simple.
In about 20 minutes I had this:
I was overjoyed to make something cute and functional with complete garbage! (I was also pleasantly surprised that the fused plastic material could be cut with a manual die-cutting machine.)
I also tried the “stripes” technique, as well as the “crayon shavings” technique. I made the business card holder and then kicked it up a notch- using the stripes technique with my own pattern and a die-cut star to set it off. The result? A lunch-money pouch for my kiddos.
There is only one thing wrong with this book. I’ll show you:
Due to an unfortunate printing issue, the two patterns that are supposed to be on these pages printed too lightly to be seen. The good news is that you can either email the publisher and they’ll sent them to you, or you can download the PDF’s.
From the Publisher
If you have received a copy of this book where the patterns on page 124-125 are very faint, please call F+W Customer Service at (800) 289-0963 to have the patterns mailed to you. Or, you can copy the following URLs into your browser to download a fresh copy of the pattern:
Pg. 124: media2.fwpublications.com/errata_upcycled1.pdf
Pg. 125: media2.fwpublications.com/errata_upcycled2.pdf
So at least you can get those pages! Nicely handled.
At the end of the day, this book is a gem. There are ideas and techniques that set my brain a-buzz- and I know what all the guys in my world are getting for Christmas!
Right now I’ve seen the book on Amazon for under $15.00- a good value for so much good information and inspiration!
Disclosure- sample provided for review.
If you’d like to purchase this book, please support CTD and use our affiliate links:
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017