So, if you don’t know Drew “The Crochet Dude” Emborsky, you should. He’s a righteous crochet designer, and a good egg to boot. (And we won’t even start on what he can do with an egg….!) Anyway, Drew is a prolific designer with now 6 books under his belt. This latest one is “for the ladies”, featuring 13 designs- or, as the tagline says, it’s “The Ultimate Collection for Every Occasion.”
It certainly seems that way! Here’s my summary of the designs:
- Debra- a casual long, knee- length cardigan. There’s an optional belt closure.
- Ruffled Caridan- A long and lovely cardigan (featured in white on the cover) with a sweet, feminine ruffle. It’s more of an open-work design that would be great for all seasons.
- Pencil Skirt-Â Mad Men alert! Sleek and sexy. If you’ve got the figure for it, WEAR IT!
- Budapest Nights- O.M.G! An ankle-length stunner, featuring an double-breasted design with bold buttons, diamond work pattern, and *gasp* faux fur sleeves and trim. SO dramatic.
- Antebellum- a sweet, girlie-girl babydoll top with a lace-up neckline and frilly sleeves. For the young or young-at-heart. Pictured in teal on the cover.
- Quintessential- a little black dress. For real. Really. Black. Crocheted. Dress. Wow. Also pictured on the cover!
- Laurie- A cross-over cardi with 3/4 length sleeves (pictured in purple on the cover over there.) Casual, classy, universal. Drew could have called it “The Jenny” – ‘cuz I would wear that in a heartbeat!
- Angel of Music- this lovely number is aÂ short-sleeved cardigan with a dropped shawl neckline and a bow closure. It falls at the hip, and has hip hidden pockets. There is even a little shaping with a back tab. Nice.
- Saugatuck Summer- a boat-necked, short-sleeved summery top that would be right at home at the yacht club or a picnic. Such a classic design anyone could wear it.
- …and then there’s Hesperas. Rock chic, anyone?? It’s a strapless bustier-style dress with ruffly skirt attached. I’m not sure who (over the age of 17) could pull this look off. But it’s intriguing…
- Vashti- a bohemian over-skirt of lacy openwork. I’d wear this look over a tank dress or even full pants. Very versatile & ageless.
- Investing- a button- up vest! (Hooray for the vest, let’s hope the comeback sticks!) I’d wear it. ‘Nuff said.
- Keyhole scarf- It’s a sweet, super-ruffly scarf that is so on-trend right now. This version would be right at home outside in the snow or worn as a chic fashion accessory.
WHEW! That’s a lot of goodness, right? Now, here are some of the nitty-gritty deets. First of all, I’m going to say right off the bat that I’m a beginning crocheter and I can’t make a single one of these designs. Drew has thoughtfully rated each one, and they all are “intermediate” to “advanced.” (Even the scarf is beyond me. Sigh.) However, the photos and general directions are well-illustrated so that, if you DO have a good working knowledge of crochet, this book is going to be right up your alley. And it gives newbies like me something to aspire to. (Budapest Nights, you will be mine!)
I’m really hoping to get my hands on some of Drew’s Instructional Kits & give you the low-down on those someday soon! Lastly, if you really want to cozy up to The Crochet Dude, head on over to Facebook and be a friend. Cuz I know he likes friends!
So, now for some fun! Since I’m such a novice, I figure this book will only languish on my bookshelf until I get my skill set in order- so how would YOU like it? Just leave me a comment telling me what you’re favorite crocheted project is, and I’ll draw a winner at random on Monday, September 27th, around 1 PM EST. Wouldn’t you LOVE to have it? Leave a comment!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. SEE WHO ONE HERE!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018